Overview of Backyard Hen Program
- A license for the property must be issued to raise hens.
- Only residents of single family homes are eligible for a coop license. Check your property’s zoning here: ZONING MAP
- Up to 4 hens allowed; however, no roosters allowed.
- Coops and runs may be located in the rear yard and must be at least 10 feet from all property lines.
- The coop must have a minimum of four square feet per hen. The run must be attached to the coop and be covered on all sides, including the top. Hens must not be allowed to exit an enclosed space.
- Residents who do not comply with Municipal Code Section 4 – 6 and all applicable sections of the Municipal Code will be subject to enforcement action.
Application can be found HERE
Residents must obtain a coop license to raise hens. The license has a $25 fee and requires both coop construction plans and a site plan with the coop location identified. See sample submittal.
Applicants must also register their property with the Illinois Department of Agriculture to obtain a coop license. Registration with the Illinois Department of Agriculture is free.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do if I am interested in raising hens?
Contact local hen owners or seek additional information online, particularly through local groups such as the Chicagoland Chicken Enthusiasts. Raising hens requires long-term commitment and would be suggested that if you are unfamiliar with raising chickens you attend a local workshop on raising chickens to ensure adequate preparation. Contact the Planner, Victoria Benham at 630.350.3413 for additional questions.
If I have a noise or odor complaint regarding chickens or want to check if my neighbor is licensed, who do I call?
A: Call the Community & Economic Development Department at 630.350.3413.
If I see a chicken crossing the road, who do I call?
A: Chickens are not allowed to be outside of an enclosed space. Please call 630.350.3413.
Other questions about the Backyard Hen Program?
Please contact The Community and Economic Development Department at 630-350-3413