Transaction Safe Zone
The Bensenville Police Department acknowledges safety risks associated with internet transactions during the exchange of property. Most exchanges are amicable. The exceptions include violent encounters or frauds. In an effort to reduce these risks, The Bensenville Police Department has designated the lobby at the Police Department, 345 E Green St, as a “Transaction Safe Zone.”
Residents are welcome to visit the Police Department’s lobby to meet buyers and sellers during regular business hours. Staff will not play a role in the transactions; however, they will respond as they would during any situation requiring police intervention.
The Bensenville Police Department’s lobby is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Any questions can be directed to the Bensenville Police Department at 630-350-3455.
If you are planning to sell/buy items through an online service such as Craigslist here are some helpful tips to prevent being a victim of a robbery or other scams.
And always remember, if you have a suspicious feeling or “it just doesn’t feel right”, don’t go. If you are already there, leave.
- Do not give out your home address or personal information
- Arrange to meet in a public place like the Police Department lobby
- Always bring a friend along with you
- Stick with local buyers and sellers if possible. Out of area customers can be a red flag
- Ask about the details of an item or to see pictures prior to arranging the meeting
- If at all possible do not send payment using greendot or money pack cards. Use services like Paypal to conduct your transactions.