Elgin O'Hare Western Access Project
The Elgin O'Hare Western Access (EOWA) Project has the potential to change the face of Illinois’ northwest suburbs,the Midwest region and beyond. Due to the overall magnitude of the project and potential to dramatically improve mobility, freight connectivity and enhance the national and regional economies, the EOWA Project is considered a Project of National and Regional Significance by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
The EOWA Project includes construction of a new, all-electronic toll road around the western border of O'Hare International Airport linking the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90) and the Tri-State Tollway (I-294), the extension of the Elgin O'Hare Expressway east along Thorndale Avenue to O'Hare and the rehabilitation and widening of the existing Elgin O'Hare Expressway. The 2013-2025 construction plan is broadly supported by local governments and represents a fiscally responsible approach to address the area's diverse travel needs - improving travel efficiency, providing western access to O'Hare, enhancing multi-modal connections and reducing congestion.
- Adding 2 lanes to the existing Elgin O'Hare Expressway between Illinois Route 19 and Meacham / Medinah Road and converting to a toll road with minor interchange improvements at Illinois Route 19 and Roselle Road and an improved interchange at Meacham / Medinah Road.
- Extending the Elgin O’Hare Expressway east as a toll road. Constructing or improving interchanges at Illinois
- Route 53 (Rohlwing Road), I-290, Park Boulevard / Arlington Heights Road/Prospect Avenue, Wood Dale Road and Illinois Route 83.
- Provide direct access to O’Hare Airport property from York Road via a new ramp crossing over York Road and the Union Pacific Railroad and Canadian Pacific Railway.
- Enhance southern access to O’Hare via a new, 4-lane Taft Avenue Connector between Illinois Route 19 and
- Franklin Avenue with a new crossing over the Bensenville Rail Yard.
- Constructing a new toll road connecting I-90 and I-294 west of O’Hare. Constructing interchanges at I-294, County Line Road/Franklin Avenue, Illinois Route 19, the Elgin O’Hare extension, Illinois Route 72 and I-90.
- Constructing a new, full-access interchange at I-90 and Elmhurst Road.
- Providing new access at I-294 and Illinois Route 64 via County Line Road.
- Accommodating express bus service in mixed traffic along the corridor. Bus service will be implemented by other agencies.