Heat and humidity can be a deadly combination, for those looking to stay out of the heat, there are a variety of cooling sites located throughout DuPage County at local libraries, park districts and community centers. Please use the link below to find the cooling center near you.
Other hot weather tips include:
- Stay hydrated by drinking at least 11⁄2 to 2 quarts of fluids daily, even if you don’t feel thirsty.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages and drinks containing caffeine.
- Avoid overexertion and strenuous outdoor activities if possible.
- Take advantage of cooling centers, public pools and air-conditioned stores and malls during periods of extreme heat. Even a few hours a day in air conditioning can help prevent heat-related illnesses.
- Don’t forget your pets. Offer pets extra water and place the water bowl in a shaded area if outdoors. Make sure pets have a shady refuge where they can escape direct sun exposure.
- If you or someone around you begins experiencing dizziness, nausea, headache, confusion and a rapid pulse, seek medical attention immediately, as these could be the symptoms of heatstroke
Additional tips on how to protect yourself and others from heat-related illnesses are available on the state’s Ready Illinois website (www.Ready.Illinois.gov).